Thursday, April 29, 2010

Script review: Green Lantern

This might seem new to you guys, but I am planning to start writing script reviews for several movie scripts I have found. Some of those scripts include the Green Lantern first draft, the A-team (I believe it's the first draft), the ditched Johny Quest script, the first draft of the Thor script, two Wonder Woman scripts, and several others. Here's my grading scale:
☆☆☆☆☆: FCK YOU WHOEVER MADE THIS piece of crap! RAAAA!
★☆☆☆☆: God I hate this. Somebody needs to be fired
★★☆☆☆: Meeh. Forgettable. Has few good moments but a whole lotta bad ones
★★★☆☆: Good. With a decent cast, and good director this could be a really good movie
★★★★☆: Great! The pros out weigh the cons and I have no doubt it will be good
★★★★★: Better than the Dark Knight, Iron man, The Godfather, Star Trek, and the original star wars series combined! :D
So let's begin with my simple Green Lantern script review. Here's a brief summary of the Green Lantern movie (plot wise):A test pilot named Hal Jordan is granted a green power ring that bestows him with otherworldly powers. It also gives him membership in an intergalactic police force called the Green Lantern Corps, tasked with keeping peace within the universe

Pros: My favorite parts of the scripts are the scenes that include Sinestro. Man they (the script writers) nailed Sinestro. He is just soo incredibly awesome. He has some great lines and his fight scenes are cool. I never knew that Sinestro used a scimitar and was a great motivational speaker. Sinestro is awesome and I can't wait to see him go bad in the sequel. Yes Sinestro pulls off the old 'mentor goes evil' thing. The script is full of little references to green lantern and dc related things (for example: several DC cities like Star City and Gotham city are referenced) and there are some moments that both foreshadow the involvement of Star Sapphire and Sinestro as villains in the sequel.
Now onto our main lead Hal Jordan . Let me just say that I bet the writers had Ryan Reynolds in mind when they were writing this. Some of the lines seem like stuff Ryan Reynolds would say in real life. Hal in the script is both slightly funny (in an asshole like way), cocky, and just plain likeable. Ryan Reynolds is the perfect fit for Hal.
The action sequences seem really cool and I can't wait to see the ring constructs (even though Dc really does have an obsession with swords)
Then there's our main villain Hector Hammond. All I have to say about him it just "God I hate his guts". He does some really heartless things. Spoiler Alert: He actually uses his mind powers to force Hal (as Green Lantern of coarse) to kill innocents. DAMN!

Cons: During a very great scene where Sinestro is giving a major pep talk to the fellow corps members before they head off to find Legion (one of the villains) and he ends by saying the Green Lantern warrior cry. The cry is "WE! ARE! THE! CORPS!". WARNING THE CHEESE LEVEL HAS GONE TO MAXIMUM! I literally face-palmed when I read that. It was just soo cheesy and odd. Talk about ruining a perfectly good scene.
A major con is Carol Ferris (who in the sequel will most likely become the villainess Star Sapphire). A major problem I have with her character is that she is too weak. Spoiler Alert: Towards the end, Carol is trapped in a plane which is heading towards the cliff, and for some reason she could have just pushed the eject button but instead had Hal push the eject button for her. That's pretty weak.

Overall it's a very good script and I know it's gunna be a great movie. It is being directed by Martin Campbell. Stars Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan, Blake Lively as Carol Ferris, Mark Strong as Sinestro, and Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond.

My rating:
★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment