Monday, January 4, 2010

Harry potter fan fiction cliches

*NOTE: I am not saying that every fan fiction has one of these cliches in it. If your writing a Harry Potter fan fiction and it has one of the things in this list. Don't be offended, I am just stating the obvious*

In one of my previous posts I mentioned the phrase Mary sue. I personally find it harder to find Mary sues in original fiction (aka published works) and easier to find it in fan fiction. So I did some searching and found many examples of Mary sues. For one thing: most of the Mary sues have very odd names like Serenity Raindrop Potter or Eh-Mee-Lee (pronounced Emily). Creative names are good, but if the names are too wacky and weird then it just sounds...weird. So after finding numberous examples of Harry potter Mary sues: (go to http://www.fanfiction.net/community/The_Institution_for_Harry_Potter_MarySues/7128/ It has over 1500 different examples of Mary sues!) I decided to search some keywords (Like Harry Potter sister, or American transfer student) into Fan fiction.net and see how many stories have that keyword in it. Ok so let's start!

Harry Potter has over 679 sisters. WOW
There are 155 American transfer students
Snape has over 402 daughters!
Dumbledore has 42 granddaughters
Voldemort has over 561 daughters
=1,839 fan fictions with those cliches in it

Now I know that there are possibly more overused cliches that I don't know about, but I'm not really in the mood to look through fanfiction.net. Ok I'm not saying that all the fan fictions that have these cliches are bad, I'm just saying that the idea of Harry Potter having a secret twin sister is way overused.

No comments:

Post a Comment