Friday, January 1, 2010

Self-insert Mary sue

As a young author I'd noticed that most of my stories were based off of personal fantasies of mine. I would write stories and just insert myself into a character meant to be me. In literary terms: A self-insert Mary sue is a literary device in which an author character who is the real author of a work of fiction appears as a character within that fiction, either overtly or in disguise. Usually the character is an idealized version of the author (example: more attractive, popular) and usually is way of wish fulfillment. Wish fulfillment is a the satisfaction of a desire, need, or personal/sexual fantasy through a novel. My personal fantasy at the time was to have an adventure where I got to fight evil people, fall in love with a perfect man, and leave the adventure richer (both emotionally and financially) for the experience. Most of the events in the Talking Cake were made off of what I wanted to happen to myself if I was in my ideal adventure.
In my first book: The Talking Cake, I had originally wrote the book to star my sister and I. I was originaly supposed to be Daisy (even though I imagined myself as Claire more often). Claire and I had the same physical appearence (even though I wrote Claire to be far more attractive), and I even made my ideal man her love interest. Then comes in Will. He was basicly everything I wanted at the time (a handsome, brave, perfect, has a heart of gold (figurativly) guy), and of coarse he was a Gary Stu. Unfortunatly I had to have him fall in love with Daisy ( I imagined myself as Daisy during those times). Just so that I could satisfy my personal desire for love for myself (Claire) I created Trevor. Who I now find has many resemblances to both Edward Cullen and an angst-gary stu.
A Mary sue/ Gary stu is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as wish-fulfillment fantasies for their authors or readers. Trevor is the true definition of angst-Gary stu. An angst-Gary stu is a character who is depressed, has dark past, and basicly an angsty character. Will is an perfect Gary stu. He has no flaws, is gorgeous, and is great at everything. He's like a non-stalkerish/abusive Edward Cullen. He is the stereotypical handsome prince. Oh and Daisy and Wills relationship I felt was basicly based off physical looks (just like Edward and Bella's). Daisy fits into the classic dumb damsel-in-distress stereotype, even though I epically failed at pulling her off as dumb. Not suprisingly she did the most obvious thing: she ended up saving the day. The story ends where each of the characters live happily after and Claire and Daisy each get what they desire.

Back on the topic of wish- fulfillment, the story ended in a way that satisfied me and fufilled my personal wishes. It's hard to explain but the Talking Cake was a written down version of my ideal adventure staring me as Claire, and Trevor and Will as my ideal men. After the Talking Cake came my shorter book called Race to the City of gold. It once again was originally written to star my friend Lauren, Sarah and I. Coarse I had to change the names to Lily, Sophie, and Ariel (whose names have the first letter of Lauren, Sarah and I). It had the same elements of the Talking Cake. Action, a hot romance (who had some resemblences to Trevor), and ends with the characters richer (this time more financially) for the experience.

After that came my longest novel (well not actually long because made the font large) Diary of a lipgloss addict. This book had many resemblences to Twilight. You know a shy girl goes to a new school and instantly many people want to be her friend and two guys start to adore her. The only people who hate Nancy ( another author-insert of me)are spiteful and jealous of her. The two male leads are Justin and Garret. Garret being like Jacob black (being the nice, boy-next-door who respects her), and Justin being like Edward cullen (being the attractive, mysterious guy who does kinda stalk her and protective). Ok back then I was a twitard and I found a guy who is protective, and is obsessed with you romantic. Like Twilight, The Diary of a lipgloss addict was a written down version of how I wished my high school life would be like. Now duh, the book contained some action (since I love writing action sequences).

To summarize this post up: My novels are based of personal fantasies of mine, and most of my main female characters were self-inserts of myself. I've always thought of writing a novel with a pure self-insert of me (not having to change the name and give flaws. Even though most of my characters don't have flaws in the first place), and live out another personal fantasy of mine. It would be secret, and not to be published. Just something for me to read by myself in order to technically live-out my fantasies. But for now, there is a low chance that I'll write again. I don't know why but I'm just not getting the inspiration to write a new novel. I mean I try to write a new one, but just don't get that into it and abandon it. Sucks doesn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment