Tuesday, March 24, 2009

How do you write fantasy?

Ok so I've took a long break from Fantasy because I was writing The Diary series( 4 books! Holy molley!). I havn't written fantasy in over a year, and I find it hard to go back to fantasy. Well I've started a new book(my first fantasy in a long time) and it's called The Fantasogra book
Ok so The Fantasogra book mainly talks about a land where fairytales happen everyday but only to the Upper class. Those are the ones who are beautiful and have good singing voices. Now the land called Fantasogra is ruled by the all powerful Fairy godmother. But the Fairy godmother is thinking of retiring, and she picks a lower class citizen(the people who the Upper class hate) to be the next FGM(fairy godmother, duh!).

Opps I may have said too much! I don't want to give too much away. Back on subject, I've been reading a book called Writing Magic by Gail Carson Levine. My grandpa(who is a published author, go Grandpa!) met her and she sent me a signed copy of her book. Though I sent her copy of The Talking Cake, she seemed very supportive.

I've written about 26 pages of The Tales of Fantasogra and I'm noticed that it is very easy to keep my attention in this book.

U see when I'm writing a book I keep writing my book(or keep writing sequels) till I finally get bored of the book. I managed to keep my attention on the Diary of a Lipgloss addict series for a very long time. I wrote over 3 sequels! That was the only book that I actually wrote a sequel to. Though I had always wanted to make a sequel(or even a remake) of The Talking Cake. Though I don't know how.

For some reason the sequel of Diary of a Lipgloss addict was easier to write. Maybe because I actually wanted to, and I found it enjoyable.

Gosh I keep getting off track! This whole post is just suppost to be about writing fantasy. I gotta stay on topic! Ok so The Tales of Fantasogra includes prince, princesses, unicorns, magic, fairies, mermaids and ogres. I've even made my own trailer! I have to give my thanks to Marie Antionette for the clips I used in the video.
Well in The Tales of Fantasogra I tried to give a new look to the common fairy tale creatures. Instead of the sweet prince and princesses that we are all accustome to, I gave them a little change. They(the prince and princesses) are cruel, selfish people who personaly want the Lower class citizens dead. They care only for themselfs, and they know that they are going to be given a happily ever after no matter how cruel they are.
The mermaids(which provide a small role in the book) are actually kept as pets, and Unicorns are used as steeds(which is not suprising). The lower class citizens(peasents, and farmers) are actually the good hearted people and one turns into a hero.
Well I hope to continue blogging later, and I might give more spoilers on The Tales of Fantasogra and more info on The Talking Cake and the Diary of a Lipgloss addict series.
-AM

No comments:

Post a Comment