Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sequels sequels and more sequels!

Now when I was writing the DOALGA series I noticed that it was hard to let go of my characters(which was how I felt when I finished the Talking Cake). So I kept writing sequels. Here is a simple warning for writing sequels:
1. make sure each of your sequels end in a way that ends that book. You don't know if you will get writers block during your next sequel
2. Try not to have huge events happen in smaller sequels( short stories). Add major events to books that are larger
3. Don't make too many sequels, limit yourself.

Ok now the hardest part of writing a sequel is getting your ideas down. I would spend every night getting together ideas, and going through ways to perfect certain scenes. I would think all day about a certain scene if I would change it or get rid of it. Thinking of your book is an essential part to writing. I would spend all of my time reading, getting ideas, and editing.
Speaking of editing: Editing is as major as writing the book. If you can't edit, then there is little hope. Luckily I have my mom, and a proffesional Pulitzer-prize winning editor who reviews my books(mostly my ideas) editing my books.
Now I know that editing is a hard thing to do, and editing sequels are very hard. You have to make sure that everything make sense. Example: Let's say in a book one the main character's boat is called the Blue Rose, and in the sequel it is called the Thrasher. Make sure your facts make sense, and are equal to the other books.
Well I better go to bed, I'm blogging as I watch Hells kitchen(which was a inspiration for my forgotten novel called the Roseseed Grand).
-AM

No comments:

Post a Comment