Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Some book ideas I have been throwing around

Let me make this clear: This is not a 100% confirmation that I will ever start writing fiction again.
Recently I have been thinking of going back into writing, so I started thinking of ideas for books down, and some things to change about my writing style over-all. Here are some things I plan to change:

1. Seeing that the book Charmed Forces was written almost identically to the way that I used to write mine and somehow that book got published, then maybe I should change my target audience from teens my age to writing more children's books. Though that comes at the hard price of dumbing down my books, making it more simple conflicts, and cutting down on the action :( But at least it will be easier to write...hopefully.

2. Definitly make my characters more relatable, and show rather than tell. I gotta show my character's flaws rather than just throwing the flaws at the audience and expecting the audience to accept the flaws. Plus it makes my characters seem like Mary sues (even though Alyssa had no flaws, and somehow the book she was in still managed to get published. Ohh the irony). Oh and have my characters act their age. So an 12 year old should act like a 12 year old rather than a 15 year old (unless their character is supposed to be mature)

3. Stop trying to add in descriptive action sequences. Though one of the book ideas I have does
require some action, but if I plan to keep it in a PG rating then I either gotta not describe it as much, or at least not let it drag on. Most of my books had long descriptions of battle scenes that lasted many chapters and were kinda boring in some parts

4. Don't bond to my characters too much. My next goal is to have the ability to kill off a character (even though if I plan to write preteen fiction then I might not want to graphically kill of characters). I gotta be able to let go of characters, and maybe have stuff happen to them that might not end up in their benefit. My attachment issues probably have something to do with the fact that I usually base most of my characters off of me and I kinda 'fall in love' with a certain character and just can't bear to lose them

5. Stop being sane. As writing-world.com says "All writers are insane", that shouldn't be too hard for me to accomplish this one. ;)

6. Make events make sense. I should stop adding in random events as 'filler' or to force the story forward. All events should help the plot some how

7. Get my confidence up. My problem is that I get the 'Writing blues'. Most writers say that spending time alone writing can cause depression, weight gain (because each word you write is at least 100 calories), and poor productivity. Believe me I just hate it when I abandon a potentially good concept. Some times I even feel like I'm forcing myself to continue a book. The main reasons I abandon a book is a) I think my writing sucks and decide a wait a couple years to rewrite the book b) Just don't find the will to continue c) I think "wow this is crap", and delete the project. d) fear that my book won't be as good as the idea I am thinking of. I like have the attention span of a goldfish if I don't get really devoted to a certain idea.

8. Have one set audience. In most of my stories the age audience kinda flip flops. Some times it hearty like a children's novel (age 8-10) but sometimes it's violent and mature like a young adult novel. Definitely gotta have a ideal audience age. Is it going to be for children or teens?

now for the moment of truth: my top two ideas for my next book:
1. Well I'm kinda going through a superhero craze phase, and writing about something you enjoy is kinda easier than writing about something you don't enjoy. What's a better way to show my love for the comic genre....making fun of it of coarse! Here's my idea, "
Comic book loving Evangeline Huffy is sent to a all-girls camp for the summer when her parents force her out. At first Evangeline hates being there till she meets Holly Fields, a witch. Holly invites Evangeline to a special ceremony which allows humans to speak to a living, dead, or fictional person for a while. Then Holly’s spell accidentaly teleports the girls into Evangeline’s favorite comic book: the Liberty knights. Unfortunately when they teleport in, the Liberty Knight’s team leader is killed when the lightening bolt that teleported the girls into the comic universe strikes him. Now Evangeline and Holly are forced to be the replacements for the fallen hero, and they start to question their ability to be the new heroes (especially at their young ages of 12 and 13). Things get worse when the Liberty Knight’s enemy known as Sherina Reel (a demon who can turn into any human/superhuman ever, but prefers to keep the form of a child in order to fool her opponents) seeks to destroy the Liberty Knights. Unfortunately Holly and Evangeline's presence has altered the reality in the comic book and now there is a possibility that them and the Liberty Knights could get killed. "

Ok so I know that your probably thinking, "Wow this is soo a wish fulfillment of yours". Yes and no. Yes I would probably want to be in a comic book, but I personally don't really see this as total wish fulfillment......ok this probably is wish fulfillment for me, but I plan to change that. I plan to make my characters different from me (and not in a "if I was perfect I'd be like this" way), and try as hard as I can to not imagine myself as Evangeline (though that might be hard seeing as that we already have one thing in common: our love for comics. Gosh this is getting worse than I thought). And is it me or does this sound like something you'd see a made-for-tv movie being made about? I gotta go check and see if this idea is still original.

2. This idea is one I just thought of today but the only problem with it is that it will be hard to make it make sense. Here's what the confusing part is: It's a fictional story about a fictional character. Now before you start scratching your heads let me explain. Now most of you hopefully know that I hate Mary sues, and since I read that bs known as Charmed Forces, I had to find a way to get rid of my hate. What better way to get rid of my hate of Mary sues then to write about it? Here's a quick summarization of my idea "A Mary sue, who is used to living a perfect life where everything works out for her, suddenly wakes up where the world she lives in is no longer perfect. She then has to cope with the fact that her perfect life is no longer perfect after her author died (oh and the author was the one who kept her life perfect) so now her life is a wreck. She now has to find a way to manage her new life (which she is now in control of).". Major plot holes: how can a fictional character take control of her life? Answer: Since the author is dead, then nobody is controlling the fictional universe that the Mary sue lives in, so anything can happen. Since the Mary sue (whom I havn't named yet) is used to having only good things happen (because the author made those things happen), mostly likely she'll be whammed with bad stuff. I also plan to reference the concept of wish-fulfillment and self-inserts (which the main heroine happens to be unfortunatly), and literary things. Yes I only want to write this book just to give Mary sues what I think they deserve. If I REALLY wanted to give those stinken Mary sues what they deserve, then I'd have my budddy Jason Voorhees kill them all....but I'm too nice for that.

3. Then there's that old worn down idea: remaking The Talking Cake. I still think that book was an epic fail which can never be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment