Thursday, April 16, 2009

Everybody has limits

Everybody has limits to their writing. Whether somebody belives that their limit in writing is to kill off a main character. Personally I crossed my limits( which was only boy/girl relationships) and I found it felt very weird to write. For some people crossing your limits is a good thing. It helps them explore new territories and hopefully find that they are good at the stuff they once fear. While for others it is a terrible experience and they choose to stay within their limits.

My personal tales of crossing my personal writing limits began when I was writing the Talking Cake. My motto was once "Heroes always win and they never die". I knew that I had to make a real shocker climax. So I looked through my main four characters and had to decide which one to pick off. I unfortunatly decided that I was to kill off Trevor(who happened to be the youngest character at age 16). Right when I wrote that into the story my limits were broken. I had almost no limits and I did everything.
In the Diary of a Lipgloss addict I wrote about teen pregnancy, drugs, gangs, alchohol, abandment, scandal, and teenage sex. I knew that I crossed the limit when I wrote book three all about Nancy and Jeminy. Yes they started dating and right when I wrote this one page( hint hint it's about the song I kissed a Girl) I knew that I had to go back to my original limits.

Now I still kill of characters, but I don't cover the naughty topics. That's why I believe that I went back to childrens fiction. In childrens books you always make it kid friendly and you don't have to worry about it being too naughty or too kid friendly. It is neutral. I plan to work on my childrens books for a long time and possibly go back to Teen fiction later on.
I love the comments you guys have been writing. You guys are soo nice. Have a great week!
-AM

No comments:

Post a Comment