Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Reading

Unfortuntly for all you die hard readers out there, this post won't be all about reading. Well might as well start talking at reading. To be a author you can't just be good at writing. You must read. Now when your writing a book it is VERY helpful to actually read. Now most people know this. So let's say that you are writing a romance you should read some romance books because it lets you know how other authors write romance and it can hopefully give you tips on how to write yours. There can't be a good author without being a good reader

Ok now to move onto a small section about the Talking Cake(yes that book). During Lunch I was thinking about that book. You see during my Young Writers club I started to talk about how the Talking Cake sucked( bad writing, TOO HUGE font size, and bad cover). I always thought that I could possibly remake the Talking Cake but get rid of some stuff. So I spent all of my Lunch thinking of ways that I could do to possibly remake it. So here is a excerpt of that long list
1. Only one villian( there was four, and it was hard to manage them all. Which included giving them an equel amount of lines)
2. No Azerbaijan( In a couple chapters they are heading to Azerbaijan, and it was just too weird to have them traveling from one place to another)
3. No more Will and Daisy( sorry people but it's hard to write all these main characters. Plus Daisy doesn't really help the plot till the end, and Will is kinda just there because he looks good)
4. No more Austin and Benjamin( they are my cousins who I let them have a MAJOR cameo through out the book, and even made them semi-main characters. I just think it's weird to have real people that you know personally in your book)
5. No more real people cameos( I actually made my sisters, and I characters. I even thought about making my dad a character. Like OMG!)
6. All fiction( it switching between the fantasy and reality realm too much. I mean in the end of the novel it turns out that Septleford turns into Virginia. It really made no sense)
7. NO CAKE!( It was stupid, cheesy, and I wanted to get rid of it from the start. But everybody was like "Ohh it's soo cute, use it!")
8. No more Maldovians( they were a race of humans who were bad. They don't really help the plot, but they do make a cool secondary villian)
9. No magic sword( a object which was supposed to have great importance but I never emphasized on it in the book. Basicly something that was supposed to be major, but I forgot about it and didn't edit it out)
10. No more "To be continued"( that was at the end of every part, and it sounds really cheesy)
11. Have one set audience( the Talking Cake was constantly switching from kid to teen in between chapters)

Now that list has 27 things on it and counting. I don't want to remake the Talking Cake because I'm getting tired of writing battles, and romance. I plan to when I finish writing the Fantasogra book to try a whole new genre. Maybe even a mystery, or a sci fi. Anything but romance, because I'm bored of it. Well have a great week and I'll be posting the next chapter of the City of Gold book soon.
-AM

No comments:

Post a Comment