Friday, April 10, 2009

Mysteries

When I think of mysteries I usually think of Sherlock Holmes, and Nancy Drew. Luckily Americans have started to create new mysteries that are hopefuly flying off the shelves. I myself had actually written a mystery before, unfortunatly it was terrible. Most mysteries usually have these 4 things: A crime, a detective, clues, and a beautiful lady to just make it interesting. Now most crimes are usually a murder, a kidnapping, or a robbery. The detective subject usually goes under these three things:
Amateur detective: Usually close to the victim and decides to solve the crime by him or herself
Professional detective: being paid to solve the crime, and has no relationship to the victim

Clues are a vital thing to the making of a mystery. After doing some research I managed to decide that there are mainly two types of clues:
The obvious clues: Clues that need little or no explaining. They usually lead straight to the next clue or the solution to the mystery. Example: He found a note that read "To find the next clue go to the Eiffel Tower". They are usually straight-forward, and need no real thinking to solve

Thinking clues: Clues that the detective actually has to think about what it means. It commonly used in mysteries for adults. They usually are small details that turn out to be of big importance. Basically it's the opposite of The Obvious clues.
Unfortunately when your young most people use the Obvious clues technique because it is easy to write and makes the story faster. Though it makes the suspension of believability very low. Older and more mature authors use the Thinking clues because it is usually more realistic. The only down side is that Thinking Clues usually take more time to describe and is fairly harder to write.
When I wrote The Mystery at the Wax museum I used the amateur detective and the Obvious clues. I don't plan to make another mystery ot remake the Wax museam book. I'm just not good at writing mysteries. I'm very good at writing romances, fantasies, and I'm ok at writing comedies. Have a good week!
-AM

No comments:

Post a Comment